These new kids need more public speaking skills than us. They will work on projects in teams, they will present their projects and they will need to be more confident in front of an audience. Thus, as teachers we can encourage our students to speak in front of an audience by assigning weekly projects. Friday afternoons can be a great time for doing this as on the last day of the week they feel tired and demotivated. You can find a lovely box, or a jar and put the project ideas in and ask them to choose the one for the next week.
Here are some suggestions but we can add more,
- Every week students choose a song which tell a story and prepare a 3-minute presentation about the song. They have to mention the band, singer, genre and the story of the song.
- Students scan through the week’s newspapers, online news channels and prepare their 3-minute presentation on current affairs.
- Students find out about the movies or the plays on and choose one that they’ve watched or want to watch and prepare a presentation.
- Students choose a quote that they like. Tell the class who said that and why they have chosen it and what it means.
- Students choose a colour and research how that colour effects people.
- Students choose two places they want to compare. they can be two cities, two cafes, two bookshops, two clothes shops, etc and prepare a 3-minute talk.