Nowadays there is a TV commercial of a fizzy drink that we talk a lot about. The dances used in the commercial is Bollywood style and we have just come across the original song on YouTube and it was not a surprise to find out that the song was from a Bollywood movie. The lyrics are in English but when I first listened I thought they were in Indian. Only when I focused, I caught the words. Then the idea emerged in my mind. Alas, it’s the end of year. I will not be able to use it this year but for the coming academic year, the song is on my list.
You can use the Soup Song to
1. teach pronunciation, comparing the British or the American pronunciation with the one in the song.
2. talk about English as a Lingua Franca, even conduct a discussion on different pronunciations of English.
3. talk about different accents.
You can try Lyric Race with your class. It will be fun.
If you think moving in the class will be difficult because you have a big class, then maybe you can try the following activity with them
1. Prepare a gap fill activity with the lyrics. On slips of papers, preferably on a colored paper, write the omitted words.
2. Divide your class into teams.
3. Give them the handouts and the omitted words. Tell students to lay all the words open on the desk before you start the song.
4. Play the song and ask them to fill in the gaps with the omitted words.
5. The winner is the one who finishes first.
I’d like to hear about your thoughts about the lesson and if you use it before I can use, I’ll be happy to hear how your lesson went.