I was reading Vicky Saumell’s Eltchat summary on Teaching English through songs in the digital age (part 3 of 4): Specific songs and their uses, I came across with the suggestion of Lemon Tree by Fool’s Garden and I realised how versatile can this one song be. You can use the song
1. to review preposition:
prepare a gap-fill exercise just omiting the prepositions
2. to practise present continuous tense:
- prepare a gap-fill omiting the verbs
- prepare a handout with images of these verbs and ask students to fill in the gaps with them.
- after listening to the song, divide the students into groups and tell each group to draw one scene from the song. ( you can watch the animation later and they can compare their drawings with it)
- Display the pictures on the walls and ask students to write what is happening in each scene
- Make a movie clip with the drwaings
3. to revise adjectives:
- prepare a gap-fill omitting the adjectives from the song
- After listening to the song, tell them to rewrite the song with the opposites making all the necessary changes to make the song meaningful. It will be a brand new song.
- Find a tune for your song and sing.